September 14, 2021 2:11:47 PM
Caring Matters Blog Blog >
You Have A Social Routine -Let the Caregiver Help!
November 12, 2020 by Living Assistance Services - Senior Home Care
Age-related changes may make life a little more challenging, but it doesn’t have to take your social life!
A caregiver can help you stay on top of your social game – or golf game – by taking on some of the grunt work.
Here’s an example of what a social senior’s week might look like and how a caregiver can help.
- Monday – Attending the tennis and golf club; caregiver drives and carries your equipment
- Tuesday – Hosting a bridge game at your home; caregiver prepares and serves the food and drinks
- Wednesday – Having birthday lunch with a friend; caregiver picks up a card and gift and drives you to and from the restaurant
- Thursday – The grandkids are coming to visit; caregiver prepares and serves snacks and tidies up when they leave
- Friday – Going on a nature walk with the walking group; caregiver prepares a healthy breakfast before you go, packs snacks for you to take on your walk, and drives you to the meeting point and back
- Saturday – Attending a wedding; caregiver takes you shopping for a gift, picks up your suit/dress from the dry cleaner, and drives you to the wedding and back
- Sunday – A day of rest and catching up with old friends by phone and mail; caregiver tidies the house, helps you arrange the coming week’s activities, and assists with correspondence
The Health Benefits of Being Social
Maintaining a strong social network as we age has been shown to have numerous benefits for our physical and mental wellbeing.
These benefits include:
- happiness and greater positive moods
- increased energy
- higher levels of physical activity
- improved immune and cognitive function
- lower risk of depression, anxiety, and loneliness
- lower blood pressure
- lower risk of diseases, including heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and some cancers
- a longer lifespan
Don’t let age-related changes slow you down and keep you from spending time doing what you love or enjoying the company of others. Consider a enlisting the help of caregiver – who are great company, too – to help you maintain your social calendar.
We’re here for you 24/7, 365 days of the year. Give us a call at 1.855.483.CARE (2273) or send us an email to info@LAServices.ca.
- Broader social interaction keeps older adults more active. Harvard Health. https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/broader-social-interaction-keeps-older-adults-more-active
- Social participation and the health and well-being of Canadian seniors. Gilmour H. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232607486_Social_participation_and_the_health_and_well-being_of_Canadian_seniors