If your parents are aging, you may already be familiar with many aspects of geriatric care. Like many other adult children with elderly parents, you’ll want to optimize their ability to function independently, and that may involve accessing many support services. One of the most important of these services can be Home Care.
Does Your Parent Need Home Care?
Seniors are notoriously resistant to the suggestion that they may need help. In addition, some of them are very clever at hiding the fact that they aren’t managing well. Here are some signs that an elderly person may need the help of a personal support worker (PSW):
- Hygiene. If the senior’s personal hygiene is sub-par, it’s possible that he or she needs help with bathing, grooming, or dressing.
- Untidy home. Sometimes household tasks like washing the floor or doing the laundry become unmanageable for seniors.
- Recent hospital stay. If your senior has recently come home from the hospital and is not yet fully recovered, it’s probable he/she needs someone to help out.
- Deficits. Loss of short-term memory, or impairments of sight or hearing can be devastating, and can affect a senior’s ability to function properly.
- Complex medication. If your senior takes multiple medications, he/she may need someone to help organize and administer them, or to monitor blood sugar/blood pressure or provide wound care.
- Poor nutrition. Many seniors are unable or unwilling to cook balanced meals, and this can lead to serious health problems.
- Family stress. If a parent is demanding too much from family members, it can impact relationships and careers.
A trained and experienced PSW providing home care can make a huge difference to the life of a struggling senior. With regular support, many seniors can continue to live independent lives.
Home Care Agencies
Some home care agencies offer a limited number of hours, or a limited list of services. Many send a rotating roster of personnel, which can be confusing or frustrating for seniors. Some organizations don’t require employees to have any formal training, or hire inexperienced workers. Before selecting a PSW for your parent, research agencies that offer experience in elderly care and make sure you choose well. Finding a capable, experienced caregiver who will support your parent over the course of several years can improve your family’s quality of life immeasurably.
Some of the hallmarks of a good agency are:
- Qualifications. Personnel are skilled, certified, and experienced. They have insurance, have been carefully screened, and are paid fairly.
- Flexibility. Schedules can be adjusted; workers can go to homes, hospitals, or nursing homes, and help is available 24/7.
- Services. Workers will help with medication and can provide personal care such as bathing and grooming, will perform housekeeping tasks like vacuuming, doing dishes, preparing meals when requested, and will provide companionship.
- Choice. Home care agencies will often have PSWs available who speak various languages and understand various cultures.
Finding the right PSW gives your elderly loved one the gift of continued independence, and brings you peace of mind. If you’re interested in finding home care for your elderly loved one, contact Living Assistance Services today at 1-855-483-2273. Our qualified staff is available 24/7 to answer your questions.
Living Assistance Services – Senior Home Care